Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the outdoors. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Inhaling too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can hurt anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and maintain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s practically impossible to notice carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it checked. The experts at Premium Air Services LLC can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can collect if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best step you can take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, the professionals will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a dirty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always rely on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the experts at Premium Air Services LLC in Tomball just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 713-364-9957 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.